Friday, January 05, 2007


Micro waved water - a MUST read

A 26-year old decided to have a cup of coffee. He took
a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it
up (something that he had done numerous times before).
I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he
told me he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When
the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from

oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the
water was not boiling, but instantly the water in the
cup "blew up" into his face. The cup remained intact
until he threw it out of his hand but all the water
had flown out into his face due to the build up of
energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and
2nd degree burns to his face, which may leave
scarring. He also may have lost partial sight in his
left eye. While at the hospital, the doctor who was
attending to him stated that this is fairly common
occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in
a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner,
something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the
energy such as: a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc. It
is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a

General Electric's (GE) response:

Thanks for contacting us. I will be happy to assist
you. The e-mail that you received is

Microwaved water and other liquids do not always
bubble when they reach the boiling point. They can
actually get superheated and not bubble at all. The
superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when
it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag
is put into it. To prevent this from happening and
causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than
two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand
in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it
or adding anything into it.

If you pass this on ... you could very well save
someone from a lot of pain and suffering


Post a Comment

<< Home